View Single Post

Old 10-19-2012, 05:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Shaping/rolling fuselage sections

I don't know how detailed to get here. I'm including these steps to answer any basic questions about how I shape parts.

Sorry if it's too basic for you old timers, just hang in there for another posting or two and I'll get into the build.
-----------------------------
I usually cut out all the Major pieces for the section I'm working on. In this case, the fuselage:
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-00all-fuselage-cutout.jpg
Ignore the nose cone for now, I'll get back to that in a little bit.

I use an old but clean mouse pad, several ~12" long wooden and/or similar length metal rods with different diameters.

Place the part with the printed side down (usually), holding one of the dowels/rods by each end with both hands...Lay it on one end of the card part that you want to roll and start with just a little pressure to get the part to start curling. Once your sure the curl is headed in the right direction you can carefully apply more pressure until the part is fairly close to what you need.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-01-cutout-piece.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-02-section-w-roller-bar.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-03-contnue-rolling.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-04-finish-rollout.jpg

At this point, I add just a little glue to the tab, hold it in place until it seems fairly dry and set it aside to dry for several more minutes.....
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-05-glue-tab-hold-place.jpg, WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-06-completed-section.jpg

Although the kit is not designed with any internal stiffiners I added several in the fuselage because I was concerned at about the stress caused by the wings of its 30"+ wingspan.
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-07-stiffiners-added.jpg

This is a LARGE model, bigger than anything I've ever built from paper, and I don't want to find out 6 months from now that I should had added some reinforcement(formers) to it.

I use this method for shaping nearly all the parts on this model.

SFX

For those that noticed the "WHITE" in the star and bar in this image,
WB-57F Oddball-1:48 build-01-cutout-piece.jpg, that's next.........