View Single Post

Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Flying ship inspired by Ian Mcque

This all started when I accidentally stumbled to a blog full of fantastic sci-fi art. The artist is Ian Mcque, prominent digital artist with extensive CV in games industry (working with GTA among other games as well). I fell in love with his images and have spent hours browsing those fantastic paintings (that’s what they really are, no 3 D work behind the images). Take a look, it’s addictive work:

IAN MCQUE | CONCEPT ART

I wanted to have a model of my own like the ones in Mcque’s images. I Googled and found out that our modeling friends in the plastic side of the hobby had done some interesting models. Julius Perdana’s Paper-Replika offers a paper version of flying boat design (certainly inspired by Mcque too). Designer is Tekzo (he's a member here but I didn't find any build thread of that ship) and you can find Tekzo's paper version here:

Cupank Mk.2 Flying Boat Paper Model

Those couple ’Mcque’ models in plastic are great but the flying boat model is already sold out (limited edition) besides it was way of my budget. Take a
peek at this site anyway, great scifi-mecha modeling stuff there:

Industria Mechanika

Great collaboration between consept artists like Mcque and some talented modelers. The modeler behind the company is Michael Fichtenmeyer (aka FichtenFoo) and here is his own corner:

FichtenFoo

Below you can see one example of Ian Mcque's consept art. Anyway after consideration what to do I decided to make my own model from scratch (litterarily because my fiscal situation doesn't allow anything I build using all existing material (this a good side of our paper hobby, you don't necessarily need a budget to be able to build). I am not trying to replicate any of the Mcque’s boats but intend to take bits and pieces from all of them when they suite my plans and feeling. This is my ‘hommage’ to an inspirational artist.

I made few sketches and started to build. Kinda old school paper modelling style. I cut templates from office paper and when I was satisfied with the form I traced it to cardboard, cut the part out and glued it in place.

Hull was made with one piece deck plate and below it I glued I guess six formers for the hull plating. Before the final plates I covered the hull with narrow paper strips glued in two layer diagonally around the hull. Hull was pretty stiff at that stage and after plating it’s rock solid. Deck piece and the formers are 2 mm cardboard and the plating is cereal box strength.

After that I've been detailing the vessel on work with the hull is half way now. Rivets, support beams, bolts, welding seams, keel and numerous fins etc. Over 200 parts glued so far and I am confident enough to show the works to you guys. This is where I stand with it at the moment - so far everything is paper cardboard and glue. Tools used: hobby knife, scissors, metal ruler, pencil and punch tools.

I started the build at Dave's forum and now I will continue publishing the progress hand in hand with you guys too. If you want to take a look at the previous steps go here. I hope you like what you see.

Best Regards,

Tappi