View Single Post

Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Lynn contacted me privately after seeing my old post in the Zealot forum. I have the USS New York kit, and once made a "test build" of scanned parts. Despite only a few internal formers and no central spine, the hull went together remarkably well -- even the complicated secondary gun casements fitted perfectly. I originally planned to recolor and reduce the parts to a smaller scale, but erasing all those deck planking lines was too tedious. I might return to that project in the future, though.

For a model intended for large scale naval wargaming, the hull and superstructure proportions "looked right" to me. The USS New York was copyrighted 1976, so I assume Mr. Watkins was improving his product. At least this was printed on gray cardstock, rather than the yellow manila folder stock used on earlier releases.

JHS, you actually corresponded with H. G. Watkins? I've heard he passed away in the early 1980s, which explains the sudden disappearance of his model line. There's so much of that designer that is now lost history -- even his full name is a mystery.

David T. Okamura

Last edited by dto; 01-31-2013 at 02:37 AM.