Thread: Site operations
View Single Post

Old 02-02-2013, 08:37 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Site operations

Hi all,

I have gotten various emails, private messages, and comments from members who believe that the Admin group is messing with the site.

I can assure you, we are not.

We, like you, have a day job that pays our bills, and there is not much time for us in the day to be working on the forum software, we try to fix any problems with out much notice to our members, but keep in mind, we can not control what the hosting company does on a daily basis, or how the Internet acts when someone accesses the forum.

If an individual member is experiencing weird behavior on the forum, the problem might lie with the computer or connection, they are using in order to access the Internet.

If the modem or router hasn't been reset in a while, do so, start with unplugging the modem, then the router, and if the computer is on, turn it off
Wait for about 30 seconds to a minute, and restart the modem, then the router, and then the computer.

Also, the age of the router or modem might give a poorer experience, if you are renting the modem, call your Internet Service Provider, and ask for a replacement, if your router is old, 5 years or more, consider buying a new router.

If those are new, or newer, and your computer is a bit dated, look at how the computer is connected, hard wired or wireless.
There might be some interference, or the network interface card might be going bad.
Replace the card or clear the interference if you can.

Also, keep your firewall and antivirus software up to date.
You have read or heard about how computers can be taken over, and you can be unwittingly be helping spread spam.

This is only advise, and yes it is free, you can choose to ignore it, or act on it.

I hope some of these steps can help you gain back some of the enjoyment that this forum gives you

As always, any comments, questions, concerns, gripes, send me a private message

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo