View Single Post

Old 03-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Johnny - thanks for the tip on burnishing the chest join! But alas I had already progressed on, so too late. But will bear this in mind for future kits.

Picture 1 shows my next stage of preparation. Assembly has started on the two wings - just a case of trimming the wings and then attaching the wingtips (already attached in the photo). After the wings are attached to the body, the other two wing sections and wing coverings shown also in the photo are then attached. The head and beak are ready for assembly as well.

Picture 2 shows the underside of the body with wings attached - both the main wings and the second smaller wing sections (which serve the purpose of largely hiding the "wing to body" joins).

Picture 3 shown the topside of the bird with wings on.

I have however made a mistake here which other builders should look out for.

What I did was add the second wing sections by folding them flush around the main wing sections. What I should have done in fact was pay more attention to the instructional!

The second wing sections in fact attach slightly proud so the leading "buckles" into a curve. This then will give the leading edges of the wings a little bit of thickness and a curved edge. Following the instructions to attach only exactly to the edge of the marker line printed on the wings (and not over as I did) will get this right!

Fortunately my mistake was not major and does not detract at all really from the model. A case of "not knowing really is not seeing"!
Attached Thumbnails
Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-img_6820.jpg   Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-img_6825.jpg   Lesser Spotted Woodpecker-img_6826.jpg