View Single Post

Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Hi Mike,

There are 2 sizes of tubing for the tower; .25 in and .187 in.

It turns out that these standard sizes are very close to the actual diameters, so I "slightly" and "imperceptibly" (if that's a word) changed the scale. There are 2 reasons for this: 1) a builder can easily convert to wooden dowel, and 2) provides a good armature for rolling.

As to the paper, I am using 110 lb cardstock, but after rolling these, and seeing all the crumples, it would be better to use standard bond paper. Being a tubular rocket man yourself, you already know that rolled paper, even thin paper, is plenty strong. But I am waiting to see how heavy the escape rocket is before deciding the final thickness to use for the paper.

Ken
Hi Ken,

Yes, paper would be easier, but it looks different than the cardstock. (Brightness numbers)

I'm doing the early version of yours. Mercury LES at 1/12 scale means the full size 1" tubes are 0.083".

It has been taking 25-minutes to roll/glue each tube that is 6" long before cutting to proper length. (up to three different tubes at once)
First I start with a 1/8" dowl to curve the tube, then a 2mm carbon tube, stepping down to a 1.5mm rod, finally a 1mm carbon rod for gluing.

I'm using 110# Index with glue tabs for inside gluing (not butt joints).

One great thing about the new epson printer; excess glue doesn't smear the ink like my Hp ink does....

Will post some photos on the "Making smaller tubes" thread, that show my process.

Like everyone else-Can't wait to get started on this project! Trying to get my to-do list of builds downsized to make room once you release! Glad it has been taking awhile....

Mike