View Single Post

Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
18 FEB Parts 1 through 12 - With not much hope for success, I started laminating and cutting. Too early to heed your advice of 26 FEB, Mike. I actually used a little thinner stock for the lamination, resulting in a final thickness of about 0.8 mm. The number 1 ring and bulkheads fit perfectly with no adjustments! I had decided to cut to remove the line and that seemed to be working. When I test fitted piece 2 (a shelf extending from the forward to aft bulkhead) I discovered a problem with my reduced thickness bulkheads - the total bulkhead to bulkhead dimension was slightly less than the skin length. This was easily corrected with an extra layer or two added to the bulkheads but I filed this away in case similar situations arose later. The remaining fuselage sections were also perfect fits without adjustment; this is all to good to be true! I charged on to the wing stubs and was treated to the extreme airfoil that gives the T-bolt its superb low-level, low-speed performance. The airfoil has a strong undercamber toward the rear of the airfoil. My eventual solution to assembling this was to pre-shape the skin to the final shape and then glued the skin to the upper surface of the ribs and spar. Once that was dry I glued the skin to the bottom surfaces, insuring the trailing edge was aligned. The left wing stub was relatively painless and, with great confidence, I dashed on to the right stub. I was not as careful here (overconfidence, I think) and managed to get a slight twist in the assembly that was not noticed until other fuselage parts were added later.

Last edited by member_3; 02-26-2009 at 12:22 PM.