View Single Post

Old 02-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
25 FEB Parts 58 through 66 (Left) - The outer panel for the left wing was relatively easy to assemble. As with the wing stubs, I preformed the skins to the airfoil cross-section and assembled the panel upside-down, gluing the upper skin to ribs and spar and then completing the bottom once the top was dry. I added an additional brace perpendicular to the front of the spar - about 0.5 inch wide running from inner rib to outer rib. The model has braces which align the ribs to the spar at the correct angle but the spar was a little floppy in the horizontal plane (my thinner laminating again) but I wanted the extra brace to keep it straight.

The most challenging bit of the wing was the tip. The fit is perfect but it took awhile for my mind to get a handle on what went where. Again, the diagram provided was adequate for illustrating the geometry but it took much slow, careful in-hand fitting to get the tip sub-assembly together. The tip curves in about every direction possible, all at the same time. After the first one was done the second was much easier. Again, the fit was excellent once I finally accepted the intended shape of the parts.