View Single Post

Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Got a bit done, but need to do a few photos so I don't get too far ahead. Here is a couple shots of the tires. Tires are always (at least to me) are the most difficult and time consuming part of the process along with the weakest point of most kits. And that somewhat includes plastic kits also.

Anyway on the rear I made multiple copies of the lugs on regular paper. One set was glued to the carcass and another was glued to mattboard to get the height usual on tractor tires. That was a bear (is that a ursus--really bad Latin pun) to cut out. This was then glued onto the carcass using the one already laid down as an alignment pattern. A third one was printed on cardstock and then glued onto the mattboard one (that only came to the edge of the tread area) then with the ends folded down to connect to the carcass. Still need to do some filling and sanding. Does that make sense.

The fronts are just getting started. In this case after building up the sidewalls a second set was printed. Then I cut the individual lugs from those and glued them in place on the sidewall assembly. Much filling and sanding will be needed. A similar process will be used to create the thread. If I do this again I think I will do the simpler ribbed type tractor tire or try to find something in my plastic kit tire scrap box that will work. I'm sure this road type tire was used since this is a slight redesign of the Germany Army Lanz kit. In farm use it would be the ribbed or a pattern similar to the Jeep tire.

Back to work tomorrow so probably won't get anything done until next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-003x-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-tires-20ft-20pieces-l.jpg