View Single Post

Old 08-10-2013, 12:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
And to relaxation of the many lattices of the Access Platforms I planned now the MLP feet, the so-called Pedestals, on which the MLP with the shuttle stack stand beside the Launch Tower, if they were near dragged and set off by the Crawler.

Altogether there are six Pedestals, four at the MLP corners and two in the middle of the two sides (Side 2 and 4).

Source: NASA

And that must naturally fit everything hair-exactly one above the other, before the MLP can be set off and bolted firmly. The platform must bear finally enormous forces during the shuttle start and stand still nevertheless.

So that one can set the MLP off on the pedestals, one needs admission devices for the assembly, and those are the so-called Mount Mechanism Interface (MMI). In the picture on the left that is the middle MMI at Side 4, and right one can see a corner pedestal. The two corner pedestals at Side 1 look some more differently.

In the paper sheet the MMI parts look like these:

As one sees, are quite simple parts, and exactly the same they look then probably also at the MLP, as it were like small blocks. That would be now however nevertheless somewhat too simple for me, and therefore I had remembered the MLP Templates (P. 5-6) of AXM Paper Scale Model, which appears first still simpler, but built should them look surely more delicate.

And thus or similarly it could also have arranged David Maier now, or about not? But unfortunately he did not make that however, like some other details also not.

Source: AXM Paper Scale Model

But for fun I built both variants to the comparison. First the baseplates come to the MLP bottom. In the kits template there only the pedestal numbers are printed on it.

Afterwards I took first times cardboard and tried two samples, therefore looks and judges to best.

The variant (left), handmade after the AXM template, was finally painted with the brush. Besides already lie the parts made from Sheet, like the final version probably will are, inclusive Airbrush finish.

Afterwards I attached for a test times both variants at the MLP, in order to have the direct comparison, as one can see here. The paper sheet variant would then still come naturally also on a small base plate and thus on the same height, that you may not disturb you.

But just honestly, which pleases variant you better?

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)