View Single Post

Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
So somehow I had thought through but not precisely enough the Assembly process, and this has essentially two reasons. With the bonding of the two pipe supports on the MLP wall I had more almost no room for any necessary corrections, which may be but perhaps necessary, because the two LH2 pipes from the corner support increase slightly oblique to the Access platform with the LH2-Valve skid. And then the two supports have these already described, somewhat complicated structure with some lateral reinforcement angles, again located in the millimeter range. And the assembly of this tiny parts above the access platform bulky for handling would have been likely to be very stressful, namely so about 15 items that need to be glued there on both sides of the support body. And to do this you need simply maximum free moving space.

Therefore I have considered, to do this delicate work rather separately on the support body, and then to make a fitting on the MLP wall with the provisionally threaded pipes with almost complete supports.

Let's go: The two basic bodys of the pipe supports sit on the already shown rear outriggers between an upper and lower cross bracer on the MLP wall, marked in this picture with arrows. And on these cross bracers, I had then continued the further assembly.

Source: NASA

Because the painted rectangle profiles were anyway not firmly adhered, I took the same again new profiles and prepared the lateral reinforcement angles. These sit on the upper and lower cross bracers(triangular), as well as directly on the MLP wall (trapezoidal shapes). While the triangles on the cross bracers have a constant width, the intermediate trapezia ranging to the vertical reinforcement bar on the wall.

When placing the reinforcement angles one has to consider still more details because both support differ. And one has already to look back and look at photos from different locations.

For better comparison, I show the photo with the other position here again, and between these two (and other photos) I am changed often back and forth enough clarity about these differences in detail to identify and understand in the construction.

Source: NASA

As you can see on this picture, the right support on the right has no trapezoidal reinforcement angles, but only on the left side (unfortunately hidden), in contrast to the left support, which has them on both sides. Because I don't want you to unnecessarily confuse or bore, looks simply itself, first with the right support.

And with applying this tiny parts the puzzle now really begins. Doing my modified approach during the assembly should prove extremely helpful. The cross bars formed a sufficiently solid foundation together with the rectangle profile behind the support basic body. And so I could turn this framework now easily back and forth and install right and left all the other angles.

Here is the view from the right,

and here from the left.

So but still not enough of the cruel game, at the end all angles got still cover plates from Evergreen strips 0,75x0,25 mm on the leading edge. And then I could ever make a first fitting of the right support on the ground and had to breathe.

Up here since now around 25 pieces stuck in it. Now missing only the lateral oblique support bracers on the left side of the support, which can be glued but only after the final assembly of the support on the wall.

Now it went further with the left pipe support, whose basic body was already prepared. I had already explained the different arrangement of the remaining triangular and trapezoidal reinforcement angles, you can now watch in the following images.

Even from the right side

and here from the left side.

The next step will be a test fitting of the pipes behind the corner.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-13-2016 at 10:22 AM.