View Single Post

Old 09-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale

John Dell's thread "HO scale aircraft?" spurred a kindling interest of taking up the challenge. In that thread I mentioned some previous work done many years ago, and also made new 1/87 versions of the Spitfire IX that Nobi allowed me to rework a few years back.

Since then, I've started on a couple of other models, and asked their authors for permission to publish my reworked kits in 1/87 scale. I've already got enough permissions to last me a good long time, but we'll take it one step at a time. Suggestions and offers are very welcome!

The thing is, that in this small scale it is really tempting to make the kits correspondingly smaller. The standard format I've settled on is 5x7 inches (large picture postcard size, 13x18 cm). The nice thing about this format is that you can print two kit pages on one sheet of either A4 or Letter size paper with ample margins. And you only have to use photo quality paper for the section of the model that contains parts, often only the two last pages of the kit (which can be printed on a single regular size sheet of paper).

I also aim to include background material on each aircraft and at least one high-quality photo (with permission) for each model, at best of the exact aircraft modeled. Links to sources, both for original sources, background text, and photos will be included in the pdf downloads that will appear in the downloads section eventually.

Permissions take time, so we'll start slowly. The first model is awaiting moderation at the downloads section. I'll get back when it is cleared. Until then, this thread starter will function as a place marker.

Leif