View Single Post

Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
1/87 scale Piper J3 Cub (TSMC model)

Curt, Nobi - thanks guys, for being interested!

Good suggestion, Jan, with the civil aircraft models; reflects my own thinking. Again, I would gladly accept pointers to specific models, free downloads, which could be reworked in the same way. Designers who have something they think of, please let me know!

1/87 scale Piper J3 Cub (TSMC model)

What could possibly be better to start with, than the classic Piper J3 Cub? Mik-chan, from the Tokyo Solid Model Club (TSMC), has made a very distinct model of it in 1/48 scale. Here's my reworking of his fine model into 1/87 scale, with some additional material:

I think it is the duty of every paper modeler to see to it that no model railway layout in HO scale within their reach goes without a yellow Cub stuch away somewhere, ready to fly out of the track layout! Make and give away one to every railroad modeling friend you have - and don't forget to point out that paper modeling enables you to make it at exactly the correct scale. You may even want to make one with wings detached, to be freighted on a large open freight wagon.

Here's what the rest of the model looks like:

Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-2.jpg Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-3.jpg Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-4.jpg

If you have a peek at the download you will no doubt notice that the level of difficult is about the same as for the classic Fiddlers green Cub, which almost every paper modeler is familiar with.

Notice also, that the small card format enables you to really study the instructions on the screen, while perhaps restricting printing to the last two pages of the kit (which may be printed on a single Letter or A4 size of thin photo paper quality, 120-170g or so).

Finally, check out the invisible link feature: If you click on any section of the text in the pdf-kit where it says "Source", or on the logos, you will get directly to the original source. This is a very neat feature, and I hope others will think about the possibilities here. Linking each section of the instruction to a build report comes to mind…

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Reworking aircraft models by other authors into 1/87 scale-piper-cub-j3-1-87-cover.jpg