View Single Post

Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Confirmed ... All RAF VC10s (even the later conversions from second hand BOAC planes) had the Standard length fuselage , not the longer Super version, but they all had the bigger engines of the super

Those built for the RAF (Like XV107) also had a large cargo loading door between the two forward passenger doors.

You can see the outline of it if you zoom in on the Abingdon picture. Look for the unevenly spaced windows either side of the hatch.

I've also discovered that she WAS converted to a refueller. The reason you can see daylight through the hull is that NONE of the tanker versions had tanks in the passenger cabins. They fully retained the upper passenger/cargo deck, and the tanks were fitted in the lower cargo area.

She was used for casualty evacuation in the the Falklands and munitions supply in the Gulf. So she was probably converted before the last time I fell out of her. Can't remember if the nose probe was there or not, but I wouldn't have noticed in the dark.

OK, I got all the info ... now all I gotta do is the re-paint
There's a first time for everything I suppose.

Keep on snippin' ... Johnny.

PS: Life was much simpler making birds of the feathered type. How did I get involved in these big silver ones?