View Single Post

Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 MB
Other Paper Products

Hello,
Whilst taking a coffee break from my Kormoran project (coming along nicely - all decks, formers and frames are cut and they fit (nearly!) I was reading an article about resin moulding and I was reminded that back in the forties, toy soldiers commercially made by moulding a shredded cardboard and glue mix were on sale in toy shops. It raised a question in my mind as to why this technique is not used commercially today. The advances in moulding techniques and binders should surely making it viable for a range of paper accessories to be made from a shredded paper and glue mix. Material costs would be minimal once the masters have been made and the moulds would have very long life as they would not be damaged by the moulded items. Some examples immediately spring to mind : Nose cones, wheels, air intake lips, drop tanks, bombs and wingtips etc for aircraft, blast bags, capstans, watertight doors, bollards, paravanes, depth charges , torpedoes etc for warships. Many similar objects for other subjects could be made and I am sure that they would sell in worthwhile quantities as sometimes making these sort of items from sheet carton/paper does not always yield good results and can be very frustrating.
(I am not talking about the Superman type modellers whose stunning work can be seen on this forum - who I am sure could make a 1/50th scale Titanic from bales of old newspapers!)
Just a thought.
VBR
jm