Thread: DC-3 (Again)
View Single Post

Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 AM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
DC-3 (Again)

Hello All,

I've been working on this design off and on for several years now and recently decided to make another attempt at getting somewhere with it. It didn't take long to become totally mired in details that either weren't obvious in the documentation or was completely wrong. Most of the time has been taken in staring at photographs to get the details right. Just remember one thing, "there is no such thing as accurate documentation" and that also includes any of my own personal output as it's also based on the "drivel in - drivel out" principle (I am doing my best to get it right though). The fuselage has been completely redrawn so many times now that I've lost count. Each time the fuselage is redrawn the wing fillets have to be completely redone and so on..., Some of the shapes look deceivingly simple until you start designing it and soon find out that this bird has some areas which must have taken a lot of super fudging to get them right. The aim is to get the wrinkles in the same place as the full scale model. Funny thing that...,

I personally like this bird (a lot) and for one design to span from its first flight in December 17, 1935 till the present gives an amazing amount of latitude for just one basic airframe. I'm just doing the DC-3 design currently but will have additions for the C-47 and foreign manufactured birds also. I've given some thought to the distribution of the finished model and haven't come to any real conclusions yet. The scale will be 1:32 and 1:24 with the larger size model a simple enlargement of the smaller one.

The photo below is a tease render of the fuselage front view.

+Gil