View Single Post

Old 04-11-2014, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Hmm, interesting points on both fronts.

Both Hathaway and Airdave make good points. It's been well over 20 years since I've used an airbrush. I initially learned on a single action (it was a gift). I'm glad I started there but I quickly outgrew it and moved on the a number of different double-action airbrushes.

As to the compressor, yeah get a good, quiet one. I've used the little noisy clackity-clack ones (WILL drive you out of your mind - or deaf - whichever comes first), larger ones and canned air. An old SCUBA tank with some sort of regulator was popular with friends.

In retrospect, (personally), I think the single action was more useful for broad application of paint and lacked the finesse for fine lines and details. Also, the spatter pattern seemed much more corse than the double action.

With all respect to DaVinci and other past masters, I've spent much time in museums and other places showing fine art. They are called Masters for a reason, but these masters laid on the paint pretty thick, and could go over and over 'till they were satisfied, building up measurable thicknesses of paint, with noticeable brushstrokes, something I think you'd want to avoid with paper models.

On the other hand, Dave is a professional, especially with an airbrush, so his advice/observations are based on real experience.