View Single Post

Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Allan,

I've tested cardstock to find the lightest/strongest for my flying models. I've posted these results on other forums.

The following is an example of what is being said. I'm explaining what is meant by "basis weight" by using common sheet sizes (they are not the actual sizes-I'm just using the sheets sizes to try and explain):
Lets say the 65lb card is 500 sheets that weigh 65lb actual weight and the sheet size is 11" x 17".
Ok, 110lb index is 500 sheets that weigh 110lb actual weight but the sheet size is 18"x22".
If you were to weigh the 110lb at sheet size of 11"x17" it will weigh less because it is in smaller sheets now. This is what is meant by "Basis weight"! The size the manufacturers sell the basic sheet at before chopping it into smaller sheets for our use.

Hardly any use the same basis size!

A better way is the Metric conversion that weighs by the "gram/meter" You will find this in the equivalent chart PDF [last column] that I created from information I gathered.

The cardstock laminate PDf shows how many laminations you need to get the thickness called for.

The test data PDF shows my personal test results of the cardstock I thought would work for my models.

I hope these help and that they don't confuse anyone!

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Card Stock Equivalent Weights.pdf (95.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: pdf Cardstock Laminate Thickness.pdf (120.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: pdf Testing Results For Card Stock Stiffness.pdf (74.1 KB, 83 views)