View Single Post

Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Easy Build Humvee

okay, so I saw a request (from Don Boose - Army Heritage Centre) for more giveaway/handout models.
Specifically some "make and take" kits to be used at Military and Paper Modeling related events.

These would be aimed more at children, and the idea is for simple construction...maybe one page? models.
Don also suggested an Army Humvee as one topic idea.

I really liked this idea...and I don't mind trying to contribute something for these types of events.
A model like this can be also added to my own "free" downloads section, so its just as much promotion for me too.

Anyway, I gave it about 20 minutes thought and then opened up CorelDraw (last night).
About three hours work and I came up with this simple one page Humvee model.
I went for a desert sand paint scheme...which allowed for plenty of visible "US Army" markings.
Yes, its complete fantasy...but thats what I was going for.

Another hour this morning produced a second "camo" version.
(Just added a green layer to the sand colour)

I tried to reduce the number of folds and folding tabs, but there seems to be a minimum to create the shape
...so that means there is still a certain amount of cutting to be done.
Because of the enlarged size, I think a kid could do the whole thing with small scissors.

I still need to adjust all the fold and cut lines, to make it all much clearer for the kiddies,
but once cut out and folded, the model goes together in about 30 seconds.
No glue is required, as I have created four simple corner connecting tabs.
(I decided to retain the body edge tabs to help fill up the edge gaps.)

Its hard to show in the photo, but each corner is a pair of interlocking tabs.
Slide them together (on the inside of the body)
and then you can fold under the front and rear flaps to help lock the body together.

...If you want to go further, you can glue all the side tabs for a cleaner look with no edge gaps, as shown below.
But the aim was to make a "no-glue" model.

Feedback please.

Is 1/32 scale too large? (1/32 is the most common military toy figure and vehicle scale)
I plan on reducing it to 1/60 to add to my KoolWheelz collection...is that too small for the kiddies?
I was going to add a Roof weapon. Probably a flat (two sided) MG...or a Tow Missile launcher.
Or should I not include a weapon?