View Single Post

Old 06-25-2014, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.57 MB
Hello folks,

today I once tried the transparent template and started the "piercing" for the support brackets on the LH2 TSM. In order to position the template exactly as possible next to the pipe bundle, I have them cut on one side about 1 mm from the pre-punctured row of holes.

In order to reasonably safe handling, I had to put the TSM in a proven way flat and clamping the holding arbor in my special mount and additional support at the left end.

Then I first pre-punctured the outer base point for the lower support bracket 3 mm above the TSM bottom and fixed the template on one side with a steel wire (0.3 mm). After alignment of the template then the outer base point for the last upper support bracket was pre-punctured and also fixed with a steel wire.
In this position, I then carefully pre-punctured the remaining base points, so as not to slip.

And this hole pattern was the result,

and so roughly, I had imagined the procedure, although a little tricky, but doable.

Then came the LOX TSM to the series. This has on the outside also a ladder with center strut, only the free space here is fortunately somewhat larger.

Otherwise the procedure is the same, so first marking the base points and then pre-puncture the holes with applied template.

And here the first six of the nine support brackets are temporarily plugged.

So far for today with the first piercing round.

Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Last edited by spacerunner; 10-01-2016 at 12:11 AM.