View Single Post

Old 08-06-2014, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
Thanks everyone. Here's the latest from Starfleet Intelligence:

More Details, Impulse Engine and Torpedo Launcher

I added some more raised detail at the rear of the ship. I took a spare and cut out the tractor beam emitters (triangle areas) by the shuttle bays and glued them on the model. I used a yellow marker to add "lighting" to the emitters and docking lights around the shuttle bays.

The impulse area of the studio model is a boxy, more contained section. I can't really recreate that with this model's design and proportions (plus I'm not that skilled at scratch building). I got a little closer by raising up the area behind the impulse drive to push it more toward the rear of the impulse deck overhang. On the studio model this sits flush and wraps around back to the hull, but this engine is too small for that. I didn't want to scale it up because it wouldn't be in proportion to my other models. So, this is my attempt at middle ground.

The torpedo launcher needed some detailing at the firing ports. I glued spares to two pieces of 1mm chipboard and cut out the ports. They are VERY SMALL!!!! Somehow, I managed to not lose them. I wanted to add the vertical divider on the front side of the launcher between the ports, but it was too small and fell apart when I tried to cut it. I edge colored the ports with a less than perfect shade of blue (closest I had) and glued them in place.
Attached Thumbnails
U.S.S. Reliant - NCC-1864-f_1.jpg   U.S.S. Reliant - NCC-1864-f_2.jpg   U.S.S. Reliant - NCC-1864-f_3.jpg   U.S.S. Reliant - NCC-1864-f_4.jpg   U.S.S. Reliant - NCC-1864-f_5.jpg