View Single Post

Old 08-23-2014, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you, gentlemen! Sharunas, allow me to quickly share my technique for rigging. I have found that the best way, for me, to get taut rigging is to start with a taut material, preferably either steel or brass rod. These are usually available in hobby shops or craft stores. I also use blackened, annealed wire. Annealed wire can be straightened by pulling simultaneously on both ends with pliers; however, once it is straightened, care must be used not to accidentally bend it again. Steel or brass rod is mostly immune to this difficulty (it can flex without permanently bending), although very fine brass rod is pretty easy to bend, too.

Before putting all the sub-assemblies together, I poke holes into the skins at the rigging attachment points, using a sewing pin or wire-sized drill. When I am ready to do the rigging, I measure and cut the wire/rod slightly larger than the actual length of the rigging. This allows me to insert one end of the rod into one insertion point and then pull the other end up and into the second insertion point. I then fix both ends with a spot of CA glue. This technique works a treat for me and goes pretty fast, and the nice thing about it is that one can use various diameters of rod/wire for the different types of wire/cable used on the actual aircraft.

The very small diameter control cables are done with 2-lb monofilament fishing line blackened with permanent marker. The rod is easier to use, but of course the fishing line is available in much smaller diameters. I believe fly fishing tippet line is even available in 1-lb test.

Good rigging makes these old-timers really come to life, I think.