View Single Post

Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The skin on the wing is very much a structural component. On the first try to skin the centre section I made two discoveries. First was that the skin, while made out of the thin 24lb-ish paper usually found for instructions and templates, wrinkles but creases, but it doesn't bend worth a damn. Second was that all of the ribs were just enough oversize to prevent closing the trailing edge.

I was able to trim all of the ribs, even after I had tacked the skin on the bottom with a pair of sharp wire cutters. The rulers in the first picture were used to smooth the skin over the ribs evenly. The one sat there for a day weighing down the paper to aid in forming.

After that, the outer sections were easier. I clamped the trailing edges together and let them sit on the bench for a day and a half before attaching them. This let them relax into at least the start of the right shape.
The rigidity afforded by the skinned centre section made it, if not a snap, at least doable.

Note that only one of the last two pieces, the wing tips is in colour. Luckily the yellow marker I have is close enough. I'll still blame it of Jerzy.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3446.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3447.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3448.jpg