View Single Post

Old 05-17-2009, 12:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Paper Modelers Gang of Four at AHD

As Rick and Kevin mentioned, the Paper Modelers Gang of Four at Army Heritage Day was a great event. Well over a thousand people passed by our table. All were fascinated by the models and many stayed to watch our demonstrations and to ask questions about paper modeling.

Every single one of the handouts was carried away. We had a Piper L-4 provided by Fiddlers Green (through the help of Glen [birder]), a special Army Heritage Day edition of LBirds' Stinson L-5 courtesy of Ryan Short, a jeep provided by Design Group Alpha through the courtesy of John Bowden, and a deuce and a half truck and M-2 howitzer courtesy of Texman and PaperTigerArmaments.

Kevin did a great job of making our poster. He, Rick, and I did the initial set up Friday evening (after Kevin and I made a last-minute run on the local WalMart to procure a set of black sheets that provided a snazzy backdrop for the models), then went out to chow down on buffalo burgers and talk paper models. Greg rolled in very early Saturday morning, bearing the Admiral Ushakov and many other excellent models. We had a good time talking to the Army Heritage and Education Center staff and Rick took time to go out and lust over the MRAP, Paladin, Bradley, and other heavy iron set up along the Army Heritage Trail.

At 0900, the crowds began to arrive. Among the first were some of my Army War College colleagues, including my boss, Dr. Clay Chun (who is also a retired USAF missileer and a model builder). It was great to have the chance for my paper model buddies and my Army War College and Military History Institute friends and colleagues to meet each other. I was not surprised to find that they hit it off immediately.

Kevin, Greg, and I gave paper modeling demonstrations throughout the day (I was the demonstrator of entry-level techniques, building a Fiddlers Green U.S. Army Piper L-4 Grasshopper in D-Day markings), while Greg (building a Modelik GPA) and Kevin (building a very small PzKw-38) demonstrated more advanced techniques. Rick did a major job of proselytizing (including setting up a computer to demonstrate how our Forum works) and I think we gained a substantial number of new paper modelers. Later in the day, Kevin’s family and my family (including our son, Don3 and the grandsons) came by and Maddy Stephens was able to bask in the glory of being the builder of the excellent “Father-Daughter C-141.”

Here, and in subsequent postings, are some photos of the event.

1. Our poster – compliments of Kevin Stephens. It includes a warning that paper modeling is addictive.

2. Maddy’s C-141.

3. During the set up: Greg provides advice as Kevin and Rick make some fine adjustments. Note the classy black “textile draping.” In the background is an interesting AHEC exhibit of Vietnam War small arms.

4. Rick: “There has to be a pony in there somewhere, Kevin.”
Greg: “This thing has a LOT of VERY LITTLE pieces.”

5. A final huddle before the crowds arrive. Rick’s soldiers (“Siegfried and Roy”) were a big hit. Note the paper Enigma machine. The AHEC folks promised to let Rick look over their actual Enigma machine during a future visit.

More to come.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ahd-1-1.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ahd-1-2.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ahd-1-3.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ahd-1-4.jpg   16 May 2009 Army Heritage Day Paper Modelers' Display-ahd-1-5.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-17-2009 at 01:04 PM.