View Single Post

Old 11-18-2014, 04:35 AM
Anime Moderator

Total Downloaded: 23.29 MB
Brother ScanNCut craft cutter

I've been wanting a cutter for years (as I'm sure many if not all of us do) and with the holidays approaching and the fact that I think I've been a very, very well behaved little designer this year (No homicides or even hurt feelings for that matter) I thought it was time to see where the state of the technology was at and I think it's where I want it to be.

A friend of mine on Facebook got a Brother ScanNCut CM100DM recently so I thought I'd check it out myself. Being unable to physically see performance for myself in our specialized field of application I was still able to determine capability as Brother has an online site to create cutting data for the machine.

Using one page from my current project I was able to create the cut pattern on the left from the image on the right which was uploaded as a 100dpi .jpeg file.(The machine uses SVG as a preferred external input format but as it supports bitmap I thought I'd try a non-vector image) Total time including conversion in Photoshop appx 2 minutes.

While the areas in the arrows were not patterned by the machine I can live with that - it's minimal cutting.

I personally wouldn't care if it took me upwards of a day to set a page up if it means I don't have to cut it so I think I'm pushing Santa towards one of these.

After comparing the models the basic will be just fine for any paper modeler with the additional purchase of a 12" x 24" mat for larger pages. The other models just include more built in patterns and I'm not the 'scrapbooking or quilting type' so the extra cost is unnecessary.

While I can't try it's built in scan function it nonetheless seems better than any cutter I've run across so far.

Anyone else have experience with one of these?

Opine please.

Last edited by TheWebdude; 11-18-2014 at 04:36 AM. Reason: accursed typo gremlins yet again!!!