View Single Post

Old 05-19-2009, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
My recommendation is to deviate a bit from Marek's design. My general impression is that landing gear design is not Marek's strong point. In the 1:32 version of the corsair, he doesn't show the use of wire at all, but in the 1:48 version he does use wire supports for the LG. Go figure. There are limits to "out of the box." As long as there is not significant redraw of the model, builder modifications for improving buildability of the model are ok, but Chris does seem to want us to document what we did so he can feed it back to Marek for improving the kit in the future. The direction I would go with this model is to pass the landing gear wire down the center of the LG strut, bend it to conform with the shape of the LG fork, and then bend 90 degrees for the wheel axle. This is the approach taken by the Maly Modelarz version of the Ki-61, and works quite well. Looking at the parts page of the kit, the fork should nicely hide the support wire. I also recommend filling the portion of the wing where the LG attaches with balsa or thick cardboard to give the LG some strength. I failed to do that with My MM Ki-61, and the LG collapsed within the first week after kit completion.