View Single Post

Old 12-14-2014, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardist View Post
I would really love to learn how to do this. Great work, you make it look so easy.

All the best and happy (designing?) modelling

Bernie
Thanks!
Granted that getting started is the most difficult part, the modeling part is not that complex relative to the whole process.
Once you get familiar with the modeling software (in my case, Metaseq), creating the wire frame is pretty much straightforward.
The difficult part is transitioning from wire frame to the 2d cutouts, and making your test build.
It is in this phase that you realize that you've either under or over-modeled a component, which prompts you to redesign that part.
Under-modeling a component makes it very boxy. On the other hand, over-modeling produces too much details that cardboard cannot handle at the chosen scale. This forces you to discard some parts.
This is what happened to me in my FW VTOL design. I've accidentally under-modeled some parts to a point that they were already unsalvageable.
To be safe, I'd rather discard parts than re-design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharunas View Post
Nice to see You Eric making a new design!

I remember this "aircraft" from video game "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", when one bad guy escaped on this strange thing ...

Thanks for detail explanation of how you work. Just one question:
do software is able precisely to join surface mesh to formers? Do those separate parts have direct relation, for example if I modify surface mesh the former would change as well?
Oh, I totally missed out on that game. The Steam Christmas sale is just around the corner. I'll keep an eye out if it comes on sale. I still have a years worth of games in my to-play backlog (no thanks to the crazy sales at Steam, Humble Bundler, GOG, BundleStars and Indiegala...)

RE: Join surface mesh to formers
I'm using Metaseq. Technically, it does not have that function. But there are plugins for creating a mesh from two cross sections. But that plugin is for an older version of Metaseq and I've yet to try it again.
So what I'm doing right now is just visual estimation.
The formers/frames that I created initially have no direct connections with the skin or outer mesh of the model. I wish it had though. It would have made things much simpler.