View Single Post

Old 12-31-2014, 01:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonduster View Post
I sympathize with the principle of going all-paper in the construction, but for a flyer it's troublesome: paper is way heavy, with no real rigidity in either plane. Pardon the pun.

Best thing to do is to "box" the fuselage - card on the outside, with a filler of some sort inbetween to make a stiffer ply: foam would be ideal (and you could just use bond paper on the outside, since you're just using the outer plys for shear strength), or a hollow outline of Bristol, with a couple strategically placed inner webs (and at least 60# cover stock outside). Solid inner plys of paper are just extra mass.
Agree with you about loosing weight. Just had the chance to see the F4 flying model released by McDonnel (1966 F4B). Single sheet, wings flat plate, incidence about 4 degree, oversize Stab. Fuselage is a 2-ply cardstock, owner says about 176 gsm or 65lb cover. Very interesting to see, uses paperclip for balance. They used dihederal on the outer wing panels by bending up just like the full size.

Simple and very fast build!

After seeing it, going to loose the laminations for the fuselage and look at ways to lighten the wings.

Being stubborn means I will probably keep the airfoil shape , but also build a flat plate version to compare the two in a fly off.

BTW-Decalage strictly refers to the difference in rigging angles of the upper and lower wings of biplanes. (Had to look it up in one of my books)

Mike