View Single Post

Old 01-02-2015, 11:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Wing Construction

Ok, spars are cured. How to shape?

Visited many boat building sites looking for answer. Everything from carbide blade skil saws to diamond grit blades for ceramic tiles. One guy said to use a hacksaw.

Everyone said messy, messy and get ready to itch and massive clean-up issues.

Where I work we sell tyvek suits and respirators, duct tape and first aid kits. Ok, got my choice of PPE (personal protective equipment).

My saw of choice is a little Milwaukee variable speed sabre saw. Looked for and found a diamond grit blade. Thinking that this type of saw wouldn't create such a big dust cloud of fiberglass dust.

Smart choice! Started with the speed at the low end to test if it would work. It did! Slowly cranked the speed up and found the faster it went the easier it was to control and easier cutting. Went overboard and maxed it out, big mistake...Like a hot butter knife going through hot butter, no control and it flat tore the fiberglass up.

Slowed it down to about 2/3 max speed and had the spars cut in about 15-minutes. No major dust cloud, no big mess, and goggles and dust mask where the only PPE needed. Oh, and cut resistant gloves!

On the cut resistant gloves. I've stopped buying the thermal type and utility gloves that have great grip (plastic dipped on a knit glove). The cut gloves come in many different weights and dexterity. I use them for everything now. In other words, I don't have scratches or cut marks on my hands anymore. My favorite ones cost $6.50 a pair and are made of dynema, light weight and dexterity is great. last a long time and the protection is fantastic! Home repair, auto repair, fish cleaning, to model building!

Ok, back to the model...

Photo 11 shows wing spar test fit, before sanding and smoothing of spars.
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-11.jpg

Photo 12 shows ribs, spars and engine mount.
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-12.jpg

Photo 13 shows right wing rib test fit. Ribs are a single layer of Springhill Tag 125lb with a laminate using heavy card that is on the back of notebooks or legal pads (yellow paper).
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-13.jpg

Photo 14 shows a close up. Notice how spars are a little wavy, cleaned up nicely with a diamond grit file.
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-14.jpg

Photo 15 shows ribs in place and shape of wing.
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-15.jpg

Anyone guess yet at the paint scheme I'm going to use?

More to follow!

Mike
Buzzzzz 2 Pulsejet Paper Airplane-13.jpg