View Single Post

Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@dansls1 Its good that I can build up a library of models that will only use up a few discs (compared to boxed kits which would require a larger house to store the equivalent)
The down-side is, I suspect, the weeks of reviewing which of the 3241 different versions of the same thing I've collected, are to be built

@Jim Nunn I have always had a soft spot for the kettenkraftrad, tho the real ones are a very touchy beast I believe, I heard one sold recently for 150k euros.
So I think the paper version could be a very viable alternative :p & is going on my wants list. I would certainly like to be able to make one as good as your example!

With reference to the 251, I am now holding the papertiger 251 & the Exclusive 251,
The PT is immediately recognisable as a more straight-forward & well supported (by instructions) build.
Looking at the papertiger site I can see the model can look really great.

The EM is crisp in print but actually accurately cutting the small components - the 'hubs' for the road wheels, the tow hook etc at this scale look nearly impossible to cut accurately (for me at least)

Exclusive Models - Halftrucks
The absence of color isn't an issue right now - I think I will make it B&W initially.

My gut feeling is through a comparison I might be eventually able to build a hybrid that maximises the designers style & insight, improves my skill set & benefits the result.

Reminds me of the days of 'super-detailing' plastic kits & seeing the current thread on the FG Gloster is giving me ideas. (As an aside my grand-father was a draughtsman on the Gloster jets development in the war).

So the Papertiger 251 will be my first AFV attempt & hopefully someone will have some tips for me as regards actually cutting the Exclusive parts out properly.

I have seen comments on punches & sharpened tubes but haven't obtained or actually tried these, but suspect the exact cutting & retention of such small circles will be quite demanding.

I am gonna search the forum for tips but anyone has a suggestion please weigh in!