View Single Post

Old 03-08-2015, 07:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 47.78 MB
It has been a few months, and since then I've made many changes to my model. With more reference photos, I saw there was an easier way to determine the left and right sides--this greatly improved the models' accuracy.

The secret was in the side panels (I'll show this in my next post,) which were marked with either L or R (for left or right sides.) Knowing this, I corrected several mistakes and added more details--such as more panel type, polygon roof, and more sturdy bogies. I've been updating all the carriages, but the first one to have the new changes is this post's subject.

The driving trailer (Bt) comes in four (technically five) versions. Since the design variations are kind of small on the photos, I've also included larger versions--direct out of my graphics program.

1) Bt "plain" version

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_plain_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_plain.jpg
Besides the plain version, the driving trailer also comes in additional liveries, which signify it is a "family car" with a children's play area--it even has a sliding board (it's true!)

2) Bt "Dinosaur" version
I couldn't find a high resolution reference photo that was flat or nearly straight-on, so I didn't create this version.

3) Bt "Globi and Moon" version
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_globi_decal.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_globi_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_globi.jpg
Globi is a long-running Swiss comic book character, and a 2001 agreement between its publisher and SBB led to the character's appearance on the side of the driving trailer.

4) Bt "Moon" version
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_moon_decal.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_moon_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_moon.jpg
The Globi character was later removed from the sides, maybe because the licence agreement ended? I don't know.

5) Bt "Jungle" version
SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_jungle_decal.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_jungle_34.jpg SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-bt_jungle.jpg
The jungle theme was the last livery. If you look closely, you'll see I've added some brush stroke effects not normally part of the livery--the gorilla's purple outlines are the most noticeable. In time, SBB changed all Bt carriages with Dinosaur and Moon liveries to the jungle version.

So there you have it, the Bt driving trailer.

I mentioned in the previous post I switched from markers to Prismacolor pencils (to color the edges.) As a result, there are no longer bleed-through problems. I chose the Prismacolor Premier line because its colors were available in many shades, and I didn't need to press down hard for good coverage. Again, the color match is printer and ink dependent, but here's what worked for my setup.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-ral_colors_vs_prismacolor_premier_pencils.jpg
I tried several greys and reds, but best match was with PC 1067 and PC 923.

Prismacolor Premier colored pencils:
* PC 1067, 90% Cool Grey (for rail carriage ends -- this matches RAL 7021, but it's slightly darker)
* PC 949, Silver (for bogie wheels)
* PC 923, Scarlet Lake (for the Bt front -- this matches RAL 3000)
* PC 935, Black (for the Bt front black stripe, for the bogies)

In the next post, I'll show the revised First Class (A) and Second Class (B) carriage models.

Cheers!

PS: Here's a bonus! Although it's much too small to normally read on the model, here's the door detail.

SBB IC 2000 InterCity Train-door_detail.jpg