View Single Post

Old 05-31-2015, 08:20 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/700 USS Arizona

I think it was 5 years ago that my older daughter took a vacation to Hawaii. One of the places she visited was Pear Harbor, and at the Arizona Memorial gift shop she bought me this paper model of the famous battleship published by Wilhelmshavener. I'm finally getting around to assembling it.

This is my first experience with a ship model, so hopefully I won't embarrass myself with this build thread. Over the years I've purchased at least a half dozen ship models by several publishers, but I've always been intimidated by the huge parts count and they've just sat in my pile. This 1/700 kit has a reasonable number of parts, and all the techniques unique to card ship building will come into play, so I think it'll make a good introductory model for me.

To keep the hull nice and flat during construction, I lightly tacked the bottom plate it to a pane of glass. Next came the center spar and all the slotted crosspieces that make up the eggcrate style supporting framework. The center spar and eggcrate sections have no glue tabs, so everything was edged glued to the bottom plate - surprisingly sturdy.

This completes instruction step 1.
Attached Thumbnails
1/700 USS Arizona-arizona-cover.jpg   1/700 USS Arizona-step1bottom.jpg   1/700 USS Arizona-step1top.jpg