View Single Post

Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thank you for your interest, David. It IS pretty small, measuring only a little over 10 inches from bow to stern. A negative of the small size is a set of construction problems that probably wouldn't exist with a larger model, but on the plus side I'm likely to actually finish this one due to the minimal part count.

The addition of the decking completes step 2. I applied a thin bead of glue along all the top edges of the eggcrate substructure and gently layed each deck section on top, pressing only very lightly to avoid bowing these panels in the hollows. I succeeded for the most part. The cardstock that the model is printed on is fairly lightweight. I regularly use 110 lb stock, and this paper is much flimsier than what I'm used to.

With the diminutive size comes a corresponding loss of detail. In the closeup shot, you can see how the smaller guns are just pictured in overhead 2D. Not very convincing. I'm thinking of this model as just a simple introduction to ship building, so the lack of detail is acceptable - barely.

More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
1/700 USS Arizona-step2overall.jpg   1/700 USS Arizona-step2closeup.jpg