View Single Post

Old 06-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 155.43 MB
1/144 International Space Station + Shuttle Endeavour (STS-134 configuration)

Hi to all, much apologies for not posting for a very long time...

my 1/100 ISS build is to be put into hibernation for the moment, to give way for this one...

for the many times I've visited the California Science Center, I thought of the idea of something that is directly related one of to Space Shuttle Endeavour's greatest accomplishments, and I though, of course, of the ISS... and if I'm not mistaken, Endeavour brought up the first (Node 1 - Unity) and the last (AMS-02) major pieces of the US orbital segment of the station...

so in line of this, I decided to build a model of the ISS with Endeavour docked on it, to hopefully, donate it to CSC when I get it done on time... otherwise, the model will debut on our upcoming IPMS nationals, as requested by our organizers to display a big enough card model to the event to entice other modelers to join in as well, to open up a possible card model category for subsequent events/competitions...

the model will mostly compose of sir Alfonso's ISS modules and equipment (except for Destiny and Quest - I decided to use Dr. Fortezza's MARSCenter ISS modules for those), and Arvydas' beautiful photoreal rendering of the MARSCenter/Betexa Space Shuttle Endeavour (with sir Thorsten's beautiful SSMEs to replace the stock ones)...

the model, when done, will reflect the Shuttle/ISS stack as like this:

so here's what I've done so far

so far I've completed Unity, Zarya and Zvezda (solar panels to follow) and the first 2 PMAs (and all of the modules, as well as the ones that will follow, will be built in their post STS-134 / flight ULF-6 configuration)

Zarya's coming along nicely, and I've added the additional parts such as the extra docking target and the PDGF to reflect its post ULF-6 configuration

I didn't install the front and aft docking adapters, as I'll be connecting them to the other modules anyway

Unity also went well, and I've glued the CBM petals open so that I won't run into problems when I install the Z-1 Truss, Quest, Leonardo, and Tranquility

I think I'll add some extra EVA toolbags later as well

Zvezda came out really good, however, for the post ULF-6 configuration, sir Alfonso is yet to add the EVA workstations and the two experiments attached to them during Endeavour's final visit (he will design and release those said components at a later date), so working with flyaround images from NASA, and rummaging Google for graphical images, I was able to scratchbuilt the EVA workstations, the Molniya-Gamma experiment package installed on the starboard EVA workstation, and the Radiometria experiment package installed on the port EVA workstation. I drew all components via MS paint, resize them on MS word, then created a PDF file for it (for high quality printing) then finally printed and assembled the pieces...

later I'll resize them again to 1/100 scale and post the files here on this thread for anyone who wants to add them to their ISS

and, like Zarya, I didn't add the docking adapters for this, to facilitate connecting the module to the other modules...

and here's PMA-1 and 2... like Zarya and Zvezda, they will not receive their docking petals so that I can connect them strongly to the other modules (and in the case of PMA-2, to Endeavour)

and here's the rest of the Space Station, as well as Endeavour and other supply/crew vehicles

will post updates as quickly as I can build the next modules and other fittings... and by request of our fellows here (and long overdue), I will give the tutorial in this thread (or I may make a separate one) on how I get the large PVAs to straighten up, and not sag like spaghetti... like what I did to my ongoing 1/100 ISS build...

see you guys soon!

Last edited by Hans Christian; 06-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.