View Single Post

Old 07-03-2015, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecraftcreator View Post
what metallic paper is it that you used for the cut away portion and that gave you the problems you referred to? Did you ever resolve it ?
The paper type is thick card called Chromolux. It is available in large sheets of sliver, chrome, gold, but also in this matte metallic shine. It is super smooth. because of the coating. It looks like metal. That is what I wanted.

I tried to print the S-IC outside son the back of the card. That worked quite well but it wasn't sharp enough. Si I went for an outer layer for the oustside and an inner layer of Chromolux. It also could provide with some extra stiffness and I could make better looking cutouts.
(see my weblog for more pictures and build stories)

Glueing things on to the metallic layer is hard.
As you might know and if you want to make a good resembling model you should add, inside the fuel tanks are slosh baffles. lots of rings that prevent the fuel from sloshing too much and unbalancing the rocket. Baffles are easily made. But.
White PVC glue and stuff like Aleene's won't hold on the shiny Chromolux and just let go. CA is useless because of fogging. I tried to overcome this problem by carving lines in the metallic paper to let the glue get some grip but to no effect.

There is a method I yet have to try; making small rings as big as the space between each slosh baffle. The slosh baffles are glued onto the outer wall's insides while the metallic rings go on top of each baffle. In the end you should have the same look: baffles evenly spaced throughout the tank.
But at that time I got too busy with other things and I just abandoned the build.
Maybe next year or so I'll try again. But maybe not.

At this time I am very busy nursing my GF back to health and I am trying to keep my head above water by now having to work on my own. (Me and my GF have a business together.) Unfortunately, because of all that, I have almost no time for paper modeling.