View Single Post

Old 06-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
OK - Panic!

JPL's complex Cassini model was sort of complex - but not in terms of detail. Fortunately, there's plenty of information available to add instrument and other detail (so I did). Filled out the flat panels that should have been boxes, extended the magnetometer boom to full length, did 3-D for the tanks, and of course filled out the instruments.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4030012.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4030010.jpg
Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p4030011.jpg

Uranus and Neptune are still mostly blank, with only the Voyagers having done a flyby. I spent a lot of time staring at Ton's Voyager - it's beautiful but also complex (and even more so if I downsized it to 1:48 to match the rest of the probes). My courage failed me, so I did my own Voyager, not much more complex than Ton's Pioneer (I also had many of the parts already done, since the Magellan Venus probe was built with a lot of leftover Voyager parts). Posted at Jon Leslie's LHVCC e-gift shop. Forgive me Ton, I will do your Voyager justice (eventually).

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p5030002.jpg

The no-longer-a-planet Pluto does have a probe enroute - the New Horizons spacecraft. Vaughn Hoxie did a nice model that can be easily modded to add a little more 3-D to the instruments. Just print off another copy of the model and cut/paste to make the parts.

Yogi's builds - to boldy glue, where ...-p6040455.jpg

U Colorado must have changed their server; the model is now at http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/New%20Horizons%20Model.pdf and http://lasp.colorado.edu/~hoxie/Model%20Instructions.pdf

And, of course, the Pioneer and Voyager probes also cover the outer reaches on their interstellar missions. Currently moving through the solar heliopause shock wave - and generating fundamental new science (they aren't flying quite in accord with Newton's gravity). See Pioneer Anomaly - What We Do | The Planetary Society

So, we turn back to the small blue marble ...