View Single Post

Old 10-31-2015, 12:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by a380 View Post
hello all,

@mike: as I understand it g code is a computer language that converts vector drawings into 'instructions' for machine tools. in the emblaser's case it converts your drawings to make the laser to turn on/off and move around on the x/y axis to cut the parts. you can draw your parts in software like illustrator and corel draw (I use illustrator) open them in the cut 2d to set the laser speed/power/pass parameters and finally send the files to the gcode sender to activate the cutter. you could however create your designs in cut2d software and thus eliminate 1 step. I haven't done that yet, since I feel comfortable using illustrator. also, I read an announcement that an update is coming that will enable the cut2d to talk directly to the cutter without using the gcode sender. good question about cutting out pre printed kits. I suppose you could scan and create a vector files that can then be fed to cut2d. perhaps you could ask dominic at darkly or try david Hathaway who has lot more experience with the machine than i. I bought the a4 version with the 3w laser. as I understand the kerf of the 4w is not as narrow. hope I have answered your questions. please contact me if I can be of any more help.

@willem: I am glad that didn't go the Chinese route!

just so you know that there are other non Chinese machines being introduced. the glowforge and the stepcutter (cnc cutter with optional heads including 3d printer and a laser in the future) seem to be most promising but the costs are more that double that of the emblaser.

all the best

amit
Thank you for the reply!

Think I will ask some questions on the forum there. I use AutoCAD for my designs, thinking .dxf will work.

Very interesting machine, from what I read on the forums so far, looks like they are developing it all the time, and are willing to help customers as well!

Thank you Amit for posting about it!

Mike