View Single Post

Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCEtoAUX View Post
Nice job on that aircraft. As was stated lots of sandpaper to be used.

Looks like you could use that method for ship hulls. There is a model out there that uses the slices/sanding method to shape the hull.
Coastal Freighter Emiliana
I see what you mean. Maybe a hybrid model with the ship hull built using this method, with the rest using the traditional method.

This should allow you to capture the compound curves of the hull. The only downside is the need to smoothen + paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Eric

I really don't think this layering design is suitable for scale models.

Too much material needs to be removed and it is up to the person doing the sanding to interpret the transitions.

Isaac
Hahahah! I agree. I came to that realization after the tip of my pointer finger already got sore from pressing on the pen knife. At that point, I've only managed to cut enough pieces to build up a third of the plane.

I do see other uses for this. Perhaps it can be used to create human figures (ground crew + pilot + pilot's dog).

One thing bothering me right now is the poor quality of the card stock I'm using. It tends to delaminate into two layers without warning. I'm kinda worried about the rudder part. Maybe I'll need to use a lot of CA to seal the edges to prevent it from delaminating.

Another more practical approach would be to model each part of the plane separately. You can then orient the 'slices' in an optimal manner to ensure strength and ease of sanding later on. Then assemble as you would a plastic/resin model.

Maybe I'll try that approach some time in the future.

But for now, I'm just itching to finish this to see how it will look like. Then I'll resume work on the natter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
That could be possible, using Mod-Podge or even Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler-- we do something similar in model rocketry quite a bit...

Even regular drywall spackle could work, but IMHO Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler would be much better...

Later! OL JR
If the scale were bigger, that would probably work. But the current model is roughly 3.5inches from tail to nose. The wings are surprisingly thin -- just two layers of cardboard (.5mm). The ridges on the wings are too far apart to make filling + sanding feasible.

I'm thinking of making a custom smartphone holder for my car. I want it to fit snugly on the side of my head unit as if it were designed specifically for that purpose. Not really happy with the current crop of holders in the market that need to be hung from the rear view mirror, windshield or from the CD-slot.
The layered cardboard + filler + sanding would work great on this type of model.