View Single Post

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
R7/Vostok in 1/144 scale designed by Lars Folmann

Hey, gang!

I've been pretty busy lately at work so I've been pretty much out of touch with my paper modeling family, for which I sincerely apologize. I've tried to spend a few free moments where possible to work on something I've been planning on building for a while. It's the R7/Vostok model brilliantly designed by Lars Folmann and available as a free download from his webpage:
http://hjem.get2net.dk/ClassicPaperSpaceModels/

I wanted to reduce it to a scale I prefer for space models, 1/144 scale, but as I did some background research on this launcher I found an interesting controversy regarding the actual color scheme. I happened upon a webpage where modelers discussed how the old photos showed the launcher to be a dark, almost olive, color...but it was apparently the result of the film used in that day, lighting considerations, the conclusion being she was actually grey rather than green! I thought that pretty interesting, and even found some photographs showing the actual grey color. Being me, I decided to try to recolor the model to match what I felt was the actual colors based on those webpages...and here is how it came out.

I personally find this launcher to be a very interesting and historically significant subject, and Lars has graciously provided us with a superbly designed model, one that I don't hesitate to recommend to anyone interested in this genre of space craft.

It might be a cool project to adapt this launcher and add a scaled down version of the highly detailed Vostok designed by Leo, so you could end up with a break away payload area in which the little Vostok gem created by Leo could be found a top Lars great R7...ah, but that's something to consider for another day....

Any criticism, corrections and comments are, as always, welcome!

Cheers!
Jim