View Single Post

Old 08-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.67 MB
Thanks to everyone for all of the encouragement. Club sign-ups came and went and I ended up having six students choose mine. The entire school is only about 100 students, so I am happy with this first year result.

The club is a diverse group, with two students from China, two from Vietnam, and two from the United States.

The first day went well, although "digital natives" are not as computer savvy as they believe. I had to help several install Inkscape. The worst was getting it to run on a Macintosh.

While the students seemed eager to get started making projects, Inkscape and Vector graphics were new concepts to them. The idea of a 2-dimensional space to create 3-dimensional models was foreign. Most thought one could design straight from Photoshop (the only thing they knew). I think I will have to win over a couple of students who have only used 3D software.

I will spend the next club time going over the basic tools of Inkscape. I will also have them design a simply house structure and allow them to decorate it as they please.

Hopefully I can post photos soon of their progress.

Brad