View Single Post

Old 12-01-2016, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
98% of the time I use a hobby syringe for gluing. The type I purchase are available at any hobby shop and come with 2 different size applicator tubes one is Yellow and the other is pink. I use the smaller yellow applicator and it is about 28ga. (.41mm).

I would be careful about using water to thin white PVA glues as some of them will turn in something like silly putty and do not bond as well as they do out of the tube. My personal choice in for glue Elmer's Glue-All it is thinner than Aleene's and I find it is easier to use in the syringe applicator.

The biggest problem with a syringe applicator is if you get a air pocket in the glue the glue will come out in spurts and make a mess of what you are working on. So make sure you do not have any air pockets in the glue. Glue does dry out in the tip so I keep some 28Ga annealed steel wire and use it to clean out the tip. The wire is available at most ACE hardware stores and is also useful for making the wire parts on a model. Another trick is to vertically store the syringe with the tip is a small container of water.

As for gluing you can control the amount of glue on the parts far better with a syringe and using smaller amounts of glue you will find that the glue sets up very fast. it's almost like working with CA without getting your fingers stuck together.

Jim Nunn