View Single Post

Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 321.94 MB
More of a warning than a tip...

I've been meaning to share this for a while, hope this is more or less the right place!

Not long ago we had a house fire and I ended up losing every papermodel I'd constructed, but not for the reasons you'd think: in fact, I had the Schreiber Bugatti Royale sitting on a hutch that actually has burn marks on it, and it came out intact...well, almost...

The fire only affected our first floor, other than smoke damage, and I lost everything upstairs as well as down. The problem was that the people working for the restoration company obviously had no idea what they were or how to pack them. I found paper models tossed in with boxes of other items, with a half-hearted attempt to wrap a few foam strips around a few of them. Naturally, they were all crushed. I even had the Geli Foxbat, which was huge, big enough that you'd think someone would say, box that by itself.

My small plastic models didn't make out much better as most of them were tossed into bags with assorted metal models, etc, with no attempt to pad them - even my Hasegawa Thor Mortar with its delicate railings.

Ironically, I had the IAF Stealth Bomber and a Wilhelmshaven Steath Fighter completed but sitting in a box on top of a bookcase upstairs. Neither one ever showed up. One almost wonders if some temporary employee walked off with something they figured wouldn't be worth enough for them to get in serious trouble.

The only survivor was my dad's - a reprint of the Kelloggs' Normandie, which is huge, and was boxed separately.

So, the upshot here is, yeah, you're going to be too stressed to worry about such things, but if you don't take care of them yourself, you'll lose them.