View Single Post

Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The wings - Part 1

Hi guys,

Thank you for your valued reactions! It's been a while but other duties in life had priority over modelling in the past few days. Happens frequently lately...

Alright, next are the wings. The construction is simple. It starts with constructing a box structure that has to be slid through the fuselage, and then capped with wing profile formers.
Sumato was so kind to send me the updated version of his model and indicated that he has changed the internal structure, which should make it easier to install the wings.
That left me with a bit of an issue as I already had installed the box structure included in the original design and glued to the fuselage. The new design gives better shape to the wings I think so I decided to combine best of both.

I think the process is best illustrated in the pictures. I cut off part of the original box structure and prepared the right wing by using the new design with two profile formers. The inner former fits snugly to the landing gear well, so that's easy to install. I trimmed both formers just a little bit to ensure they only help to shape the wing, and not pressing too hard from the inside on the wing skin, which would otherwise result in "shining through'.
I reinforced the wing tips by laminating them, but leaving a slight margin around the edges. Also it helps to use small gluing strips approximately 1mm away from the trailing edges.

Dry-fitted the wing and it slides perfectly over the box stub so I will glue it in place accordingly. Haven't done so yet and I'm still pondering if I will use parts WB1 and WB2. In fact, they're not needed but may provide better reinforcement of the wingbox.

To be continued.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4487.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4488.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4489.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4490.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4491.jpg  

Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4492.jpg   Skyline Papermodels DC-9-31 Eastern Airlines-img_4493.jpg