View Single Post

Old 04-15-2017, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Should not the tow cables be black and shiny? One shouldn't use a wire rope that looks dry and/or rusty because the rope relies on the strands to be able to move against each other under load. If the strands are rusty or dry friction can cause rapid heating of the cable and breakage of the same.
Regards,
Charlie
Am I misunderstanding your point?

I think if you look at photos of original Saladins (1950s, 1960s) there is no doubt the Tow Cables were silver or metal colour.
In some cases, maybe painted silver for Parade or display?...as it appears in this image:

And theres no doubt, on original Army service vehicles, the Cables and Attachments are a gray or silver metal colour.

You can also see that the cables are a lighter weight version of the spiral steel cable found on heavier vehicles, like the Centurion.

And then, if you examine modern restorations, the Cables are always silver/gray metal finish.
Only thing different with modern restorations, I have found, is the use of D Bracket connectors rather than the original safety lock S-Hooks.

So, I don't think they should be coloured anything other than gray or silver metal.

The Tow Cable is also just an optional item.
Don't feel obligated to use them.
I've seen more photos of Saladins without Cables, than with.

This brings me to a funny point...
I have gathered some research and information from the guys over at a British Historic Military Vehicles Forum.
These are guys who actually own and are restoring Saladins.

And when I discussed the Tow Cables with them, and then showed my final model result,
it was suggested by one member that I "add rust"...paint the cables to appear rusty.

In response I asked "would you deliberately add rust to the cables on your real Saladin?"
Meaning, a lot of effort is put into removing rust when operating a vehicle like this.
I could imagine the efforts to keep these cables rust free, as you said Charlie.

I know "rust" is a common scale model addition and effect
...but I think no rust is just as realistic. Maybe more so?