Thread: best glue
View Single Post

Old 04-23-2017, 12:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwagar1 View Post
what's the best kind of glue to use ?
Depends on what is available in your area, what type of paper you are using and will you be adding any other media type to the model.

Aleenes has been mentioned. This is what I use, Aleenes Turbo Tacky type.

For adding plastic canopies, ZIP DRY works well to attach the plastic to the cardstock, or even metal to the cardstock.

Now about technique:
1) Use very little glue, the more you use the longer it takes to tack and dry. Meaning you will need to clamp/hold the parts forever to get it to work. Added to this problem is the glue might warp the part out of shape.
2) Find a good way to apply the glue without needing to touch it with your fingers. Once on your fingers the glue will show up as finger-prints all over your model.
3) Make sure you clamp or press the parts together very firmly-this forces the glue into the paper fibers, allowing for a better glue joint. Once again-the less glue used makes this work better.

Experiment with different brands to find what works best for your technique. I have about 10-different brands/types on my work table at this time. Some work well, some don't.

As you progress with this hobby, you will find yourself looking at different brands and types in the many stores you visit, just like paper: you can never seem to pass different papers without checking them out, same holds true for glue!

Mike