View Single Post

Old 05-01-2017, 03:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
Shinpan kumiage toro yuya shinmise no zu
(A Set of Five Cut-out Pictures of a Newly Rebuilt Bathhouse)
by Hokusai
Oban, woodblock 5 pieces/25.1 x 37.7cm each
ca. 1807-1812

I uploaded the files to the Download section and am posting thumbnails here. The images show 2 centuries worth of colour fading, but they can be brightened up using a photo editing programme. I recommend printing the files on stiff self supporting paper. The original oban size prints were larger than the paper sizes we usually use. Printing on legal size paper makes a convenient sized completed model.
Hokusai, the wood block carvers and the original publisher all passed away more than 70 years ago, so there should be no copyright limitations to printing the tatebanko.
This tatebanko would make an interesting companion to the French private house that "pilpat" posted (a special house model !).

(Hokusai also designed a tatebanko of a Kabuki theater with outside street scene and the interior showing the stage and audience. I have not been able to find any images of the prints.)
Attached Thumbnails
Shinpan kumiage toro yuya shinmise no zu-1_original.jpg   Shinpan kumiage toro yuya shinmise no zu-2_original.jpg   Shinpan kumiage toro yuya shinmise no zu-3_original.jpg   Shinpan kumiage toro yuya shinmise no zu-4_original.jpg   Shinpan kumiage toro yuya shinmise no zu-5_original.jpg