View Single Post

Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Sorry I'm not very good when it comes to tutorials but will give it a try. First off the tape is sticky packing tape about 2" wide. I get it at the Dollar store for a Buck. The tape is put on both sides of the canopy frame. The first thing I do is to print the sheet that has the canopy on it, on regular typing paper. Because the tape goes on both sides of the canopy, this reduces the separation of the tape around the canopy frame. I'm using the FG Mig 15 for this tutorial because it is one of the more easy one to start with. And also because the vast majority of my models are from FG. Fairly easy to build and realitively inexpense to build. Thus I was looking for a way to build them with an inexpensive canopy.

First I cut out all the shaded window panels.

Here you need to make sure you have a very clean working surface.
Cover the entire upper surface of the canopy with the 2" tape and make sure there are no rinkels and press the tape around the canopy frame. Notice the glue tabs are still on the canopy. At this point I usually pick up the sheet and cut out the canopy with small scissors. If you have a really clean cutting service you can use an e-xaco knife thats fine. When you cut out the canopy also cut off the glue tabs as well, remembering where they were. Be careful and try not to get finger prints on the sticky side of the tape.

Turn the canopy over and lay it as flat as possible and apply another strip of tape to the back side of the canopy. Press the tape firmly around the entire canopy. Try and remove any air bubbles this happens rairly. leave the canopy taped down firmly and use a razer blade or knife to cut out around the canopy. Once you've cut out the canopy and while it is still stuck to the surface, remember where the glue tabs were and slit the tape next to the canopy frame and leave the tape flap. This will replace your glue tabs and allow forming the canopy.

Usually I try and fold back the tape tabs, then bring the two canopy frames together and then let the tape tab come forward and then press it together firmly to form the canopy. You can also trim off some of the tab size to make it less visible. Notice you can see through the canopy quite clearly. Now on to scratch interior cockpits

CLEAR AS MUD RIGHT??:D
I hope this helps......................good luck

One day I'll get some help and take more pictures actually putting the canopy together. BTW I use Testors plastic glue to attach canopies to the aircraft.