View Single Post

Old 08-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 671.41 MB
Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise

I received my copy of Art Deco Airports, by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise. Of course we have all seen their beautiful web site and drooled over their classic models. This book combines the history of the golden age of aviation with the construction of airports that reflected the esthetic of the period. The authors are able to capture the excitement of being at the airport for the average person, of flying as part of the upper-class lifestyle, and the civic commitment to air-mindedness of leaders in large and mid-size cities in Great Britain, Europe, and the United States.

I don’t have the words to describe the quality of the illustrations—lush, dreamy, detailed—I don’t know. They thrill me when I turn the pages. The illustrations of architectural details captivate the reader and help to convey the character of these structures. As I read the text, I “drove” to some of these airports using Google Earth. Some remain and still show little glimmers of what they once were.

This is a book that will be on our coffee table for a long time. If you are a fan of this era or appreciate great aviation art and stories this book is for you. Makes me want to build another classic plane and visit some of these airports.

Unfortunately, our classic terminal at STL is long gone. In my day it served only as the flight service station before that moved. It's nice to see pictures of the place in its heyday.

I’m posting this little review here because I know the authors have many fans. Don’t want this to get lost in the book section. I hope the authors will find time to finish their Fairchild projects. Best wishes to them and thanks for this wonderful book.
Attached Thumbnails
Beautiful Book by Terry Moyle and Rosie Louise-art-deco.jpg