View Single Post

Old 09-23-2017, 03:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Boy, still fiddling with the frame. But lessons learned from past builds are paying dividends.
I have approached this one with those lessons and my past experiences building plank on frame kits. As was pointed out the frames do not match up too the 2 middle keel frame braces. So a old ship builders trick was employed of adding a fill strip. 1st lesson learned on the French Lugger, I sanded the up right frames to match and altered the shape and size of that 1st Shipyard kit. So ergo, straight edge and knife, cut step off the side of the sheet
these Parts came from. Ran strip down the offending piece, let the glue set. Then applied thin CA to stiffen. This allows for the strip to be sanded during the fairing process.
Also, from same 1st build, the card, reminds me of a beer mat, does not sand too well.
So, a small bottle of thin CA was applied to the frame all over. This stiffens and allows for better and precise sanding. 3rd lesson, the areas where mast are stepped, got a double dose of CA. This becomes apparent once you start putting tension on the mast during rigging. Will test fit the lower mast and ensure the hole/angle is correct before placing the deck onto the frame. Have spent most of the day just working on this.
Attached Thumbnails
1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_0072.jpg   1/72 Shipyard Schooner Berbice 1780-img_0074.jpg