Thread: For the Cats
View Single Post

Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Hi Gary,

Well, if Ebony is sleeping in it during the day it is already home! Remember outdoor cats are very active at night! Like the cat house - wish we could get them here.

What do you mean by "warming pad". A cushion type thing?

------------------

We use a water fountain as well. The ones you can get here (American), use charcoal filters and they are very expensive. We can barely afford them. So we bought the one with the most cost-effective filter - a dog fountain that works well for the four cats. It is oval in shape and the water bubble up in the center.

------------------

I notice from an earlier post you don't like my use of "feral" for cats!

My definition of feral - an animal in a wild state - not tamed or domesticated. This is an important definition to make - certainly in Africa where African Wild Cats (like tabbies) still exist. These are 100% feral. You will be lucky to ever see one. Most people never have or will. Aside from true genetic ferals, we also have ordinary ferals. There are your normal cats, but they are completely wild. They will normally not domesticate at all. You cannot handle these cats - if you surprise them, touch them, or try to, or corner them they will literally tear you to bits if they can. My wife feeds ferals and she made the mistake once of touching one that came to her - when. Much blood, drama, and damage, even though it was tiny!

Ferals to my mind have also always been born in the wild.

We have been lucky enough though to have had two. Both from kittens.

One adopted my wife - he was part of a group fed by her. One day, very strangely, he came up to her and sat and looked at her. On a whim she picked him up, and for some reason he let her. She put him on the seat of the pickup and he stayed put and came home. He wanted to attack me though, and eventually did, making a hole in my upper lip! After a long rehab period, he became one of the most loving cats we ever had. He died of leukemia - this was Nugget and I have posted pictures of him here before. Still sad when I think of him.

The other feral was a newborn found dying in the road and brought to my wife. Home, rehab, and while he stayed with us as he grew up, he remained very wild. He didn't want to be touched, spent most of his time in hiding, and disappeared if anyone else other than the two of us appeared. He did this so effectively that friends and family have often never ever seen him!

However, over time he has mellowed and now likes to be stroked, and spend time with us. In fact, he rarely goes out. He still hides from everyone else.

This cat is Mandiki - typically a proper Wild Cat - tufted ears, tabby colouring, white around the eyes (improved light absorption for better night vision), black mouth, large paws and claws, and extra large whiskers. He doesn't like pictures so we have few decent close-ups, but my wife took a reasonable close-up the other day which I have posted below. You can see all the features I mention in the photo, even the tufted ears if you look closely - they are not so clear in the pic which was taken with a phone.
Attached Thumbnails
For the Cats-adobephotoshopexpress_11bc19c189cb47bf9a03b840f2ff002e.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin WS; 10-14-2017 at 05:14 AM.